• Welcome to IPTV Community! You need login/register in-order to access forum without restriction.

Smart TV unsecured wifi network

JJR2

Aug 16, 2022
We have an older Sharp TV, modelLC-60C6500U. Despite repeated efforts to turn off the wifi, it persists in broadcasting as a server in the clear, and the neighbors have apparently been using it to steal our service. Data use has doubled since last month. Guessing they are simply logging into the TV itself and streaming movies, etc, since I've changed the router WPA2 passcode..

Tried connecting the TV to the wired LAN, at which point "something" turned my WiFi network off at the router. And the TV's server still shows up in the network list on the phone.

It has also ignored multiple attempts to set up WPA2 for the TV network with a passcode, so it is making itself freely available to the thieves whenever it's on. I have now connected it to the router with a WPA2 passcode and blocked it, but the TV still broadcasts the built in network in the clear. No one else in the neighborhood has a TV showing up in the iPhone network list, possibly because they're out of range?--which would limit the suspects? How do I fix this?

Hectorious

Official Verified & Trusted
Reseller
May 5, 2017
www.rapidiptv.live
We have an older Sharp TV, modelLC-60C6500U. Despite repeated efforts to turn off the wifi, it persists in broadcasting as a server in the clear, and the neighbors have apparently been using it to steal our service. Data use has doubled since last month. Guessing they are simply logging into the TV itself and streaming movies, etc, since I've changed the router WPA2 passcode..

Tried connecting the TV to the wired LAN, at which point "something" turned my WiFi network off at the router. And the TV's server still shows up in the network list on the phone.

It has also ignored multiple attempts to set up WPA2 for the TV network with a passcode, so it is making itself freely available to the thieves whenever it's on. I have now connected it to the router with a WPA2 passcode and blocked it, but the TV still broadcasts the built in network in the clear. No one else in the neighborhood has a TV showing up in the iPhone network list, possibly because they're out of range?--which would limit the suspects? How do I fix this?
sounds weird... some provider having standard settings for "hot spot sharing" activated, if he has same contract with same provider it might be that your router is working as a public hotspot ?

AsmadYaldin

Feb 1, 2023
I've definitely heard of similar problems before, but this seems like a pretty unique case. Have you tried reaching out to Sharp customer support for assistance? If not, it might be worth a shot.

AsmadYaldin

Feb 1, 2023
I've definitely heard of similar problems before, but this seems like a pretty unique case. Have you tried reaching out to Sharp customer support for assistance? If not, it might be worth a shot.
In the meantime, multitechverse.com have tons of tech-savvy community members who might have some ideas for you. They could even walk you through the steps to get your TV's WiFi situation sorted out.
Honestly, it's super weird that your TV is still broadcasting even after you've connected it to your router with a WPA2 passcode. That's definitely not normal. There may be something wrong with the TV itself, which could be the problem's root.